Vacancy Announcement #196/2023
Climate-sensitive Innovation for Land Management - Climate Change Cluster
Contract end date: 30.06.2024
Since 2008, the Ethiopian government, namely the Ministry of Agriculture, operates the Sustainable Land Management (SLM) program to reverse land degradation and increase agricultural productivity in the highlands. The SLM initiative aims at reaching two million households in more than 7,000 micro-watersheds in Amhara, Benishangul Gumuz, Gambella, Oromia, SNNP and Tigray.
GIZ provides technical assistance to this national flagship program since its inception, at national, regional and local levels. The new program module “Climate-Sensitive Innovations in Land Management” (CLM) will run from July 2021 to June 2024). It focuses on capacity development of SLM actors through policy and institutional advisory, field-level coaching and advisory services, training, networking, piloting field activities as well as research and communications.
- Ensuring financial/accounting activities are carried out in accordance with GIZ’s accounting rules and regulations.
- Effective coordination with colleagues at the GIZ country office as well as the project finance team and regional offices in matters related to financial transaction processing.
- Executing cash payments and deposits at the bank.
- Adhere to GIZ’s Cash Management Instruction.
- Ensuring that the provided accounting services within the project are done correctly and supporting the project to meet reporting deadlines.
- Provide a high level of internal and external customer service including taking ownership of customer queries and complaints and following issues through to completion.
- Handle petty cash accounts.
- Make all cash and check payments of the project.
- Record financial transactions on cash and bank books daily.
- Preparation of on-time Cheque payments and bank transfers as per the company policy.
- Preparation of staff and partners' travel settlement.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payments.
- Process and issue the project’s official cash receipt for incoming cash and withholding tax receipt to the payer wherever applicable.
- Collect proper and valid receipt/invoice and attachment from recipients and attach with corresponding voucher.
- Make a timely cash replenishment request when the cash account reaches to the minimum balance.
- Ensure proper filing of paid documents.
- Reconcile Cash Book Balance with physical cash count at the end of the day.
- Sign as “Paid by’’ on all Payment Vouchers
- Assist in office management tasks like filing, logistics of travel, booking of hotels for rooms or conference halls, preparation of field missions and workshops, keeping the filing according to GIZ procedures, keeping limited amount of cash etc.
- Coordinate booking of flights, logistics of travel, booking of hotels with the administration team.
- Coordinate and organize rooms for meetings.
- Assist in creating and maintaining a filing system for the office according to GIZ rules and regulations, treats information confidentially, specifically in the areas of personnel and finance.
- Welcome visitors in a friendly manner.
Other duties/additional tasks
The Cashier/Administrative Assistant:
- Maintain property register fixed assets, update inventory records, and make annual physical count.
- Logbook/fuel consumption reports.
- Preparing/prechecking settlement documents.
- Photocopies and scans documents as needed.
- Reports without delay to the persons responsible for office administration and accounting on all problems in financial administration and compliance with rules,
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
- BA degree in accounting, business Management or equivalent
- Minimum of 3-5 years in a similar or comparable position.
- Excellent knowledge of the GIZ rules and regulations and of GIZ accounting software.
- Good command of the English, Amharic and Tigrigna language.
- Computer literacy (MS Office, WINPACCS, and internet-based research)
- Ability to cope with stress and to organize/prioritize workload under tight deadlines.
- Discipline and punctuality.
- Resilience and patience
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Availability for in-country duty travel to different project sites
How to Apply
Interested and qualified Female candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their recent CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position ‘Administrative Assistant #196/2023’ in the subject line of your email application.
Due to the large number of applications, we categorize applications with vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In the case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”